They have practiced for hours. They lead in their local school and youth orchestras, and dazzle in solo/ensemble competitions. They are committed to every facet of their studies. Here’s where we get to show them off! Every year, the most accomplished music students from the Central Wisconsin region are invited to compete for prize money and the opportunity to perform with the CWSO in an unforgettable weekend of music making of the highest level.
Rules and Eligibility for 2023 Competition
- Competitors must be instrumentalists in grade 9-12 during the 2023-24 school year.
- Competitors or their music teacher must reside within the following geographical boundaries: Highway 2/Michigan (North), Highway 21 (South), Highway 13 (West), and Highway 45 (East)
- Competitors will perform a movement or standard excerpt of a concerto of their choice, not to exceed fifteen (15) minutes in length. The selection must be an original concerto composed for the instrument and orchestra (no transcriptions).
- Repertoire must be approved by the CWSO to be eligible for the grand prize. Criteria for approval include availability of music, rental/purchase cost, and suitability with the CWSO’s programming.
- Competitors must provide piano accompaniment at their own expense.
- Competitors must perform their music from memory.
- Judges have complete discretion in the awarding of the prize(s), including the option to name no winner. Their decisions shall be final.
- Winner must be available to perform with the CWSO on February 17, 2024 and to rehearse with the orchestra as required by the conductor. Tentative required rehearsals are February 13, 16 and 17. No alternative performance dates will be available.
The grand prize winner's performance as soloist with the CWSO on February 17, 2024 at 7:30pm is contingent upon public health recommendations at the time of the concerts. The grand prize winner will also receive a $500 cash prize to assist with their musical studies. An honorable mention may also be named.
This year’s competition takes place on Sunday, October 8, 2023 (between 1-3pm) at UWSP. Formal times will be sent out once applications are accepted. All application materials are due by September 30, 2023.